What types of loans can be consolidated?
Most federal student loans, including the following, are eligible for consolidation:
- Direct Subsidized Loans
- Direct Unsubsidized Loans
- Subsidized Federal Stafford Loans
- Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans
- Direct PLUS Loans
- PLUS loans from theFederal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program
- Supplemental Loans for Students (SLS)
- Federal Perkins Loans
- Federal Nursing Loans
- Health Education Assistance Loans
- Some existing consolidation loans
Private education loans are not eligible for consolidation. If you are in default, you must meet certain requirements before you can consolidate your loans.
A PLUS loan made to the parent of a dependent student cannot be transferred to the student through consolidation. Therefore, a student who is applying for loan consolidation cannot include the PLUS loan the parent took out for the dependent student’s education.
A complete list of the federal student loans eligible for consolidation is available in the application.
When can I consolidate my loans?
Generally, you are eligible to consolidate Federal Student Loans after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment.
What are the requirements to consolidate a loan?
Here are some tips on qualifying for a Direct Consolidation Loan:
- You must have at least one Direct Loan or FFEL Program loan that is in a grace period or in repayment.
- If you want to consolidate a defaulted loan, you must either make satisfactory repayment arrangements on the loan with your current loan servicer before you consolidate, or you must agree to repay your new Direct Consolidation Loan under the
- Income-Based Repayment Plan,
- Pay As You Earn Repayment Plan, or
- Income-Contingent Repayment Plan.
- Generally, you cannot consolidate an existing consolidation loan again unless you include an additional Direct Loan or FFEL Program loan in the consolidation. However, under certain circumstances you may reconsolidate an existing FFEL Consolidation Loan without including any additional loans. You may prepay your loan at any time without penalty.
For more info Call 877-698-2733 or complete the application form above.